Monday, June 21, 2010

Take me out to the yakyū game...


After managing a bit of a headache on Saturday morning after the izakaya, I awoke to an email from American friend Zack, husband of a close family friend who happens to be in Japan on assignment with his job in the U.S. Navy. Zack had put together a plan to check out a Japanese baseball (yakyū) game in Yokohama, a separate city from Tokyo about 45 minutes away, but still part of the greater Tokyo metropolis. Told to meet at a certain time in front of Yokohama stadium, I hustled down to meet Zack, only to arrive a few minutes late. With no phone and no internet, I assumed I had missed my chance to catch up with my friend. I decided to buy a cheap ticket anyways since I was already there, and the smells and sounds of baseball emanating from the stadium were too much to resist.


Entering the crowded bleacher seats, I discovered that I had purchased tickets right in the middle of the cheering section for the Yokohama Bay Stars. There were cowbells, drums, trumpets, and organized cheers whenever the Bay Stars were at bat. Cheers were led by fans at the front of the section, calling out the next chant and keeping time with a whistle.


When Yokohama was in the field, it was the opposing fans' turn to cheer, with their own very loud constituency making their presence known on the other side of the stadium. The opposing team, by the way, happened to be the Hanshin Tigers, who, according to some accounts, are the Japanese equivalent to my own Boston Red Sox. The Tigers are the arch rivals of the Tokyo Giants, widely regarded as the New York Yankees of Japan. Any way, their fans certainly appeared to be as dedicated as Red Sox fans, easily outnumbering the Yokohama fans at their own stadium.


Also, I was surprised to see former Red Sox draft pick and Chicago Cub outfielder Matt Murton in CF for the Tigers.

Since I couldn't read the seat or row numbers on my ticket, and no usher showed any interest in directing me to a seat, I eventually just grabbed a vacant one. After about 20 minutes, I suddenly realized that Zack and his friends from the Navy were sitting just 4 rows in front of me! Relieved, I went and found them and hung out with them for the rest of the game.

Beers were available the entire game, and were mostly served by attractive Japanese girls in traffic-sign neon yellow or orange outfits. There were a few strange ballgame snacks, such as orange slices served over noodles, but cracker jacks were also available. And yes, there were also baseball cheerleaders.



Sadly, it was not a good day for the Bay Stars, giving up 4 runs in the 4th inning enroute to a 7-3 loss to the Tigers. However, our section kept up the cheers, non stop, until the very last out.

It's also worth mentioning that apparently the catchy marketing slogan for this year's Bay Stars season is "Full season, Full Power, Analyzing Baseball." Hm.


Afterwards we took a walk through Yokohama's Chinatown (the largest in Japan) and grabbed dinner. We then said goodbye, and I somehow managed to navigate my way back to my apartment through a maze of commuter train routes to Tokyo, satisfied with my Japanese baseball experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment