Sunday, June 20, 2010

Friday night izakaya


So my coworkers decided it would be fun for a group of us to hit an izakaya (a japanese bar that serves food and drinks) after work this past Friday. We ended up at a place that served all food and drink from the Japanese island of Okinawa. Apparently, the Okinawan food of choice is pig, and they pride themselves on eating almost every conceivable part of the pig. You can probably see where this is going. I am fairly certain that there is a good chance that this place was selected so that I could be made to sample various pig body parts. It certainly could have been worse, though. As far as I know, the most exciting things I had were pigs feet and pigs ears. The ears were not bad. The feet were - well, lets just say I probably won't be ordering them again. Actually, we had many different foods, not just pig, and some of them were quite delicious. I think there were some interesting seaweeds in there, some very good pork fried rice, and, of course, a couple glasses of Okinawan sake. It was almost dangerously smooth to drink. I was also taught how to correctly call out the waitress to refill my beer, something which can be done from far across the room. We all had a lot of fun, and I have to say again that these people have been so friendly and generous. Here are a few pictures from our night out:












No comments:

Post a Comment