Saturday, July 24, 2010

Leaving Tokyo for Kyoto

The night before leaving Tokyo for my 2 weeks of travelling, we had a party at our place and invited the guys who we'd been playing basketball with every week. They're a great group of guys, and we had a fun night in our cramped little living room.


After getting a slightly later start than I would have liked, I managed to get myself out the door to head to Shinagawa Station in Tokyo. On my way to my subway stop I ran into a small street festival in my neighborhood. I couldn't stop too long to check it out though, because I had my bags with me.



At Shinagawa Station I flashed my Japan Rail pass and hopped on my first ride on the Shinkansen, the Japanese bullet train. For those of you wondering if trains can be sexy, the answer is yes:


These trains are simply the way all travel should be. Huge leg room, no security check points, baggage checks, etc. You just show up on time, get on, and relax. It's fast, quiet, comfortable, easy, and you can watch the countryside out the windows.


Plus, there are enough train cars and seats that unless you're travelling during holiday weekends, you can usually stretch out over 2 or 3 seats easily. Pretty nice. Next stop: Kyoto.


No comments:

Post a Comment